Monday, January 23, 2012

We Interupt Our Regularly Scheduled Programming...

... to bring you: Banana Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies!


So, we had two Curious George parties a couple of weeks ago, (I know, I haven't posted the photos yet... OK...), and that meant that in addition to the stockpile of bananas that I had already stashed in the freezer to hide the fact that we didn't eat them fast enough, I also had about a dozen extra bananas destined for bread.  However, the idea of dozens of loaves of banana bread, on top of the two that are already in the freezer, sent me looking for something, ANYTHING else to make instead. 

Well... YIPPEE!  Because I found and tried this recipe for Banana Cookies from the Laurel Brooke Bed & Breakfast, which was in my new Weston's Bed & Breakfast Recipes Past & Present 2010 cookbook. (THANK YOU!!!)  The original recipe came with a recipe for frosting, which I think I am going to skip because these are so yummy the way that they are! ;^)  I also added the oatmeal and the chocolate chips.  I made a double-batch and baked 2 dozen according to the recipe, (they would be good this way for a more delicate affair, like a tea party), then added the oats and baked 2 dozen more (perfect for breakfast) and then added the chocolate chips and finished it up the batch  (a yummy treat).  They are all really good, but the final product is my favorite.  Next time, I might try to add some nuts (although my kids don't care for nuts), or even some wheat germ, so I can keep pretending that these are almost healthy cookies. ;^)

Now, I have joked that "I never met a cookie I didn't like" but that is not the complete truth.  I am actually very discerning when it comes to cookies, and even more so now that I am around them ALL of the time.  I only eat the REALLY yummy ones.  That said, I REALLY liked these, AND because I REALLY like YOU, I am going to share the edited recipe... (NOT MY COOKIES THOUGH.. you'll have to bake your own! Although, if you need bananas, give me a call.  ;^))

Banana Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies

3/4 c. Crisco
3/4 c. light brown sugar
1 egg
2 tsp. vanilla
2 ripe bananas, smashed

1/4 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
2 c. flour
1 cup old fashioned oats
1 cup chocolate chips

Cream shortening, sugar, egg, vanilla, and bananas.  Add dry ingredients.  Drop on greased cookie sheet. (I used baking parchment instead.) Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes.  Makes about 40 cookies.

The note on the original recipe says that they freeze really well, too, although, my cookies will probably not make it to the freezer this time. ;^)

Enjoy!
Sarah



No comments:

Post a Comment