Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Happy Reformation Day!!!

As a cookie baker, you become increasingly aware of obscure holidays... National Ice Cream Day, Clean Your Refrigerator Day (Nov. 15th, just in case you were wondering), Marooned without a Compass Day (which shares it's day with Election Day, which is really scary in an of itself) ... really any excuse to bake cookies.

Well, October 31st, is another day that shares it's holiday status, for while it is Halloween, my family also celebrates October 31st as Reformation Day...  



My good friend, Dan Guinn, summed it up very nicely on Facebook this morning, so I will quote him (emphasis added):

Happy Halloween! (traditionally, "All Hallows Eve" or "Hallowmas Eve") & Happy Reformation Day! ~ (The anniversary of Martin Luther posting the 95 Thesis at Wittenburg starting the Protestant Reformation October 31st, 1517.) Luther's posting spread across Europe in little more than 2 weeks (You might say it went "snail-mail viral"). Providentially, the movement would free us from the superstition of "All Hallows" aka. "All Saints Day," and such veneration of saints, it would reject the selling of indulgences (which some unscrupulous preachers began to manipulate and teach as the purchasing of the release of souls from purgatory and into heaven). The Reformation fully rejected this notion, and purgatory as unscriptural as well as many other practices. In contrast, the Reformation would bring the church back to the supremacy of Scripture over life and practice, and translated the Bible into the language of the people. Martin, for example would translate one of the first German New Testaments during his time hidden away by his benefactor, Fredrick the Wise, who kidnapped him to keep him from being martyred. ~ The principles of the Reformation are found in the Five Solas... Sola scriptura ("by Scripture alone"), Sola fide ("by faith alone"), sola gratia ("by grace alone"), Solus Christus or Solo Christo ("Christ alone" or "through Christ alone"), Soli Deo gloria ("glory to God alone").


So, this is my cake for the cake walk at our church's Reformation Celebration.   I briefly thought about making it German Chocolate (get it... funny, no?), but since my family hates coconut and my daughter has a sweet, abliet somewhat annoying, habit of picking out and bringing home the cake that I made, I decided it was best to stick with just plain chocolate.  It was supposed to have a cookie for the 95 Thesis, but since I have a pinched nerve in my back, I am not baking this week.  Providentially, however, I did bake this cake last week, so I only needed to frost it today!  ;^)

So this morning, when I was feeling particularly lazy, and in a brief lapse of sanity, I asked my three girls in the van if I should make our cake walk cake like the Wittenburg Door with the 95 Thesis or just put sprinkles on the top.  Reader R voted resoundingly for "The Thesis" while the two cheered "Sprinkles!"  In preparation for the election, Curious K clarified the vote by saying "I don't know what you are talking about R., but two of us want sprinkles, so we WIN!"  Great.   (That said, maybe I need to figure out how to sneak some sprinkles on there so I don't cause a revolution...)

Since I didn't have room for all 95 of the Thesis, I just picked one of the Solas that summarize the principles of the Reformation... Soli Deo gloria - "Glory to God alone."  (While it seems a little ironic to be writing it, as I show off the cake that I made, I will say that part of why I do what I do with Sarah's Sweet Shoppe, is for God's glory.  I am using the talents that He has given, to help Him provide for our family, by being a honest businesswoman, while working in the home.)

Just a little church history lesson to brighten your day.  See you again on Marooned without a Compass Day!


Happy Reformation Day!


Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment