Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Happy "Marooned without a Compass Day!"

Well, to tell you the truth... I had every intention of making "Election Day" cookies, but it just wasn't going to happen this week with a sick little one... so I decided I would share these... "Marooned without a Compass Day" cookies instead.  ;^)


When I was in college, I spent a couple of years studying leadership in the Pryor Leadership Study Course at William Jewell College.  One of the books that we read was Stephen Covey's "Seven Habits of Highly Effective People."  I have obviously forgotten much of what I learned, but one of the things that stuck with me was the idea of "True North" that there are principles, such as fairness, justice, honesty, integrity, human dignity, service, quality, potential, and trust, which are self-evident, self-validating natural laws that are always there, always reliable, like the “true north” on a compass.   That "As Cecil B. deMille observed of the principles contained in his monumental movie, The Ten Commandments, 'It is impossible for us to break the law.  We can only break ourselves against the law.' " (Covey, p.33)

When I studied overseas there was a great British reality/game show called "Don't Forget Your Toothbrush!" (You can still watch it on YouTube, if you have an hour to waste and want a good laugh. ;^)) Basically, if you were in the audience, you had a chance to leave, immediately, for a dream vacation... but you didn't want to get caught without your toothbrush...

I hope that when you do go to vote, you will not feel "Marooned without a Compass," but that you will have your conscience as your guide, know what principles are important to you, and vote accordingly...  

I suppose I will have to save my cool new elephant cookie cutter for another day... maybe in January.  ;^)

Take Care and Don't Forget Your Compass,
Sarah


No comments:

Post a Comment