Sunday, March 4, 2012

Confessions of a Cookie Baker: Cutter Collection

Here it is...  I have a LOT of cookie cutters (but not as many as some cookie bakers...)  At last count I had just over 300.

I used to keep them in ziploc bags, like Georganne at Lila Loa, who recently challenged cookie bakers everywhere to show her their cookies.  However, thanks to the generosity of my parents, who gave me their old kitchen cabinets for my laundry room, and my good friend Kara, who spent all evening text-coaching me on cookie cutter organization... they now look like this...

My cookie cutters in their happy new home.


In early January, I spent about a week sorting them into different sized piles based on categories, finding just the right containers to maximize the space, my budget, and my needs.  I landed with these containers, because they were clear, flat (so I could see the shapes I have easier), only $1 at the Dollar Tree, and fit on the shelves.  Some of the categories are pretty narrow (hearts), others are pretty broad (animals).  I used some great labels that my friend Dana gave me to make them pretty and itemize what is inside.

At the same time I was grouping them, I took photos with my phone of each group, so now when I see a new cutter, I can check my phone and see if I already own it... no new duplicates!

I love my new system.  I also have a bin where I keep the cutters I am just about to use and the ones I haven't put away yet...  and I take the cutters of the season (Easter, Spring, Flowers) down and keep them in my kitchen.

So all that said... the one bit of Kara's advice that I wish I hadn't ignored... was to make sure I had room for growth.  Since my re-org, I have purchased almost 30 cookie cutters.  Uggh.  Plus, they have been rather unique ones... the state of Kansas, a fleur-de-lis, a windmill, etc. and I pretty much don't have a category or a box for them.  I am not quite sure what I'll do about that... I guess I might just have to stop buying cookie cutters... not likely.

Have a great weekend!
Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment