Thursday, October 27, 2011

How Do You Get to Carnegie Hall?

Practice. Practice. Practice!

Today's cookie adventure was just that... practice.  For a couple of years now, I have been wanting to try a new icing recipe.  I had not tried it for a number of reasons... primarily because I am a firm believer in "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."  I really love my standard cookie recipe, why would I want to try anything different.  Nevertheless, this cookie company adventure, along with the dreams of my imagination, and the encouragement of my friends, has compelled me to set aside my reservations and dive in. 

So, with the help of a tutorial from one of my cookie heroes, Sweet Sugarbelle, I tried my hand at Royal Icing.  (What's Royal Icing? It is a smooth icing that flows and then hardens.  As much as I love my fluffy frosting, it doesn't allow you do to as much detail as Royal Icing does... Also, there are a few things, that just look so much better smooth...)

Tada!
 

Candy Corns!

(Shiny, not fluffy...
just like candy corns should be.)

 And LEGO Mini-Figure Heads! Thank you again, Sweet Sugarbelle, for your inspiration and tutorial, and to Kristin Woolridge for encouraging me to try!  (Kristin is planning a Lego birthday party and had seen this idea online and asked if I could do it.  I said, I didn't know, but I would try...)

This LEGO head is made with Royal Icing.
This one is made with my Fluffy Frosting.

And my first Royal Icing Flower... I would call it "Candy Corn Hibiscus."  ;^)

So, honestly, I clearly need some more practice... I need to do some more research... I need a better recipe (because this icing was pretty, but, frankly, not so yummy), but I see so many possibilities with it.  I will still probably always prefer my fluffy frosting, but it is always fun to try something new. 

And so, the moral of the story is... If you have an idea, or you want me to copy something you already have, like an invitation or a napkin, don't hesitate to ask.  I will tell you "Yes," if I know I can do it.  I will tell you "I'll try," if I am not sure, and then we can decide if we can create your cookie or if we need to develop something else wonderful.

Sweet cookie dreams!
Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment